3/13/07

A Healthy Fear of the Written Word

As E's imagination has blossomed, he has conjured up ghosts, witches, haunted trees, haunted houses, monsters, pirates, and every manner of scary things that go bump in the night. The latest product of his child mind is that "scary" books can somehow "hurt" him by being in his room after he goes to sleep. This is despite the fact that scary books are his favorite thing to read during daylight hours, and even right before bed.

Therefore, every night, he warns me ahead of time which books to take with me when I turn off the lights. And every night, he remembers at least 2 more books that I should have taken, and proceeds to march down the hallway to present them to me. This has gone on for at least a month now, and the pattern was pretty easy to discern:

His Disney storybook has a picture of Captain Hook on the cover. He's a pirate. 'Nuff said.
How the Grinch Stole Christmas...the Grinch is pretty creepy before he saves Cindy Lou Who
The Spooky Book...I'll let you guess that one
Bob the Builder Traffic Trouble has Spud the Scarecrow in it. And I'm terrified of that guy.
Meredith's Mixed-Up Magic has witches on the cover


All validly terrifying to a small boy who spends all day reveling in terrifying things, right?

Imagine my surprise when one night I looked up to see him hastily dropping his Catholic Book of Bible Stories on the floor and running hell-bent back to his room...

No comments:

www.flickr.com