4/9/07

Amazed by Children

As E and I were driving home from my parents' house this evening, E piped up from the back seat: "When I get home, I'm going to put my milk [a plastic carton of milk from a restaurant] in the 'frigerator without its lid on."

Immediately thinking the worst (I prefer for my car to remain un-milkified), I gasped "Did you lose the lid?"

"No," he replied "I just want to leave the lid off so my milk will freeze and get cold enough for me to drink."

I explained to him that the milk would still get cold with the lid on the container, and that lid-on was a better policy as far as mommy's kitchen floors went.

"But I don't want the outside to get cold. I want the inside of the milk to get cold." He exclaimed.

Kids are neat.

1 comment:

soonerjess141 said...

Jeez Mom, if you truly understood the First Law of Thermodynamics you would realize this is not a purely adiabatic process and the milk WOULD chill faster with the lid off. So Word to the wise, when your kid is obviously brighter than you, listen to him.

PS To Little E, i personally have done the milk experiment and the results were disconcerting. The milk did chill faster but due to the open air environment within the milk container, the milk began to take on a less than pleasant flavor. Let me know if you solve this problem. :)

www.flickr.com