2/25/07

Boys Will Be Boys

I always get made fun of for what I let E play with. He definitely is not limited to only "boy"toys, and I've never felt uncomfortable with the sight of my son playing with My Little Ponies and the occasional Barbie, reading Disney Princess stories, and cooking chocolate cake for me in the bathtub.

Kids have the rest of their lives to live by the gender stereotypes of our society. Little boys get teased for being "gay" as early as grade school! E lives in a protected, safe world right now, where no one judges him for playing with girl toys (I mean, at 3, it's the parent's fault, right?). So why should I take that away from him? He still swings swords and shoots pretend guns more often than he sings lullabies to his stuffed animals, so I'm not exactly worried that he's lacking in "man" skills. Besides, studies demonstrate that boys who play house or with baby dolls make better fathers because they develop nurturing qualities at an early age. So there, naysayers. Anything that makes my son a better man in the future is okie dokie with me.

Even if people tend to stare when he loudly demands Cinderella books in the bookstore...

No comments:

www.flickr.com